PALMYRA, NY - LDS PALMYRA TEMPLE
President Gordon B. Hinckley announced the building of the Palmyra Temple in February of 1999, and in May of the same year the ground broke for construction. President Hinckley dedicated the Palmyra Temple on April 6, 2000, the same day the prophet Joseph Smith established the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1830. Because of the special significance of Palmyra in church history, he dedicated the Palmyra Temple in four
sessions so more people could attend the dedication.
Worthy members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints perform marriages, baptisms and other sacred ordinances in the temple, or "house of the Lord," to unite families for the eternities according to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ.